- IUPAB welcomes applications for support of events that are strictly within the purview of Biophysics.
- Support will depend primarily on the scientific merit of the proposal, and the quality and appropriateness of the speakers. Council will consider the focus of the meeting, its novelty and the contemporary importance of the topics to be covered.
- Support from IUPAB will be conditional upon an undertaking from the organizers that free access will be guaranteed to all scientists in conformity with the ICSU policy on the free circulation of scientists.
- In accordance with the aims of IUPAB to encourage and support the development of Biophysics world wide, it is expected that IUPAB resources will be used:
- to support the attendance of younger people/students from less developed countries at meetings when the host country is in the developed part of the world and/or
- to support speakers from the developed part of the world, as well as local students, to attend a meeting in a less developed country.
- IUPAB expects that the language of the conference, school, etc. will normally be English, so as to maximize the participation of all scientists and to acquaint all students and other young biophysicists with the language that is used for the majority of scientific communications, both oral and written. IUPAB will, however, consider exceptions to this rule if the circumstances so justify.
- IUPAB support should be explicitly indicated on all publicity material and the IUPAB logo should be prominent.
- Because of the limited funds available, applications will be considered on a competitive basis and the level of financial support awarded to any event will be decided by Council or the Executive Committee on a case-by-case basis, but rarely will it exceed 10,000 Euros.
Financial support will not normally be given to:
- A purely national meeting of any of the national biophysics societies or groups.
- A meeting that is one of an on-going series devoted to a specific topic, although exceptionally funds may be awarded solely to support the participation of young scientists from developing countries.
- Any meeting in a Congress year, unless officially sanctioned as a Congress Satellite.
Financial support is available in principle, however, for the cases of:
- A regional meeting or school devoted primarily to fostering education and research opportunities for young biophysicists, especially in those areas of the world where biophysics is developing as a discipline.
- A regional meeting aimed at bringing together biophysicists from a number of countries in a particular area of the world.
- Applications for financial support of Conferences, Schools and other Events must be submitted on the appropriate forms. Please use “Forms” on the index bar and fill in the “Funding Application Form”. Completed applications should be returned to the Secretary General at least before June 30th of the year prior to the event if it is scheduled for the first semester of the following year or before the 31st of December if it will take place during the second semester. If organizers of meetings are seeking only the approval of IUPAB, including the use of the IUPAB logo, but not requesting financial support, applications may be submitted to the Secretary General at any time and will be considered by the Executive Committee by correspondence.
- Meetings that are supported by IUPAB financially or otherwise, will be listed in the IUPAB calendar of events; this is published in IUPAB NEWS which is distributed to all adhering bodies of IUPAB, and included in the IUPAB home page on the WWW.
Enquiries about IUPAB meetings and requests for application forms should be addressed to the Secretary General.