IUPAB President-Elect honoured in Brazil
Last modified: August 11, 2016
Recently our President-Elect, Professor Marcelo Morales, was elected to the Brazilian National Academy of Medicine. He will be the 93rd Chair of the Academy, and his investiture took place in Rio de Janeiro on June 14.
Prof. Marcelo Morales at Brazilian Academy of Medicine
The Brazilian National Academy of Medicine is composed of the most august representatives of medicine in Brazil. The Academy was founded during the First Empire (Dom Pedro I) on June 30, 1829.
Advance Notice for 21st IBC in 2023
Last modified: January 12, 2017
Letters of Intent can now be lodged to host the 21st International Biophysics Congress to be held in 2023. The closing date is December 31, 2016.
The deadline for lodgement of the actual bids is May 01, 2017 and bids should be submitted in pdf. with videos, complex graphics, etc. to be available by link to a specific website for the bidding country.
As in previous years, bidding countries may arrange to host presentation functions in Edinburgh at their own cost at the congress venue.
Some information which might be helpful:
1) there are no preferred dates, although generally the congress is held in either August or September
2) number of delegates varies upon location, but always more than 2000
3) previous congresses have been held in Amsterdam (1999), New Delhi (2002), Montpellier, France (2005); Los Angeles (2008) ; Beijing (2011); Brisbane (2014). 2017 will be in Edinburgh and Rio de Janeiro in 2020.
4) any venue you regard as suitable is fine, considering transport and other facilities
5) there are usually a number of meetings of the Executive and Council held in smaller rooms, and a General Assembly to accommodate all the Adhering Bodies representatives (see listing on our website)
6) there is usually one formal dinner, and somewhere appropriate is required for the bid presentations for the future congresses
7) IUPAB does not itself make the choice. The location for the 2023 Congress will be decided by vote of the delegates to the Edinburgh Congress.
8) there should be a range of accommodation to appeal to early career scientists (young post-docs, etc) as well as Council, Executive and invited speakers. As IUPAB usually pays accommodation for invited speakers if they are not covered by their own institutions, then it is desirable that there is a competitive rate, and there should be some economy of scale for such a large conference.
Voting to choose the venue for the 2023 Congress will take place at the General Assembly in Edinburgh in July.
IUPAB News #64, December 2015
Last modified: December 10, 2015
IUPAB NEWS No. 63, June 2015
Last modified: July 3, 2015
IUPAB NEWS No. 63, June 2015
CODATA President’s message
Last modified: June 17, 2015
CODATA President, Geoffrey Boulton, has published his message to the CODATA community in which he sets out CODATA’s strategic vision and priorities over the next four years: http://www.codata.org/message-from-president-geoffrey-boulton
19th International Biophysics Congress
Last modified: October 25, 2016
The location of the next Congress will be Edinburgh, Scotland. It will be held from July 16-20, 2017, in conjuntion with the 11th Congress of EBSA (the European Biophysical Societies Association). Preliminary information is available at http://www.iupab2017.org/home
Abstract submission deadline: March 24, 2017
Early Registration deadline: April 14, 2017
Registration deadline: July 5, 2017
Also, at the 18th IBC held in Brisbane, Australia in August 2014, the General Assembly voted that the location for the 20th IBC will be Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2020.
Letters of Intent deadline for 21st IBC bids: December 31, 2016
Deadline for Lodgement of bids to host 21st IBC: May 01, 2017
Bids to be submitted in pdf, with videos etc. to be available by link to a specific website for the bidding country.
Contacting the IUPAB
Last modified: February 6, 2015
Notices of News and Events, and all queries regarding the IUPAB should be sent to: