The following message has been received from Dr. Sarah Callaghan, Editor -in- Chief of this journal:
Dear Colleagues, CODATA International Scientific Union Members,
The Data Science Journal http://datascience.codata.org is currently accepting nominations and applications for membership of its Editorial Board. The main role of a board member is to act as an advocate of the journal and help advance submissions and reputation, as well as occasional help in the processing or reviewing of submissions.
The Data Science Journal is dedicated to the advancement of data science and its application in policies, practices and management (such as Open Data) to ensure that data are used in the most effective and efficient way in promoting knowledge and learning. It is a peer-reviewed, open access, electronic journal that is relevant to the whole range of computational, natural and social science and, where appropriate, the humanities. The scope of the journal includes descriptions of data systems, their implementations and their publication, applications, infrastructures, software, legal, reproducibility and transparency issues, the availability and usability of complex datasets, and with a particular focus on the principles, policies and practices for data. (The full focus and scope of the journal can be found in the attached document.)
More specifically, the responsibilities expected from a board member are:
• to distribute Calls for Papers as widely as possible and to promote the journal whenever possible to gain submissions
• to make suggestions on how to improve the journal
• to carry out occasional peer review for the journal
• to assist in locating suitable peer reviewers, if required
• to let the Editorial team know of conferences/events that could be used as journal promotion opportunities (especially relevant if they will be attending the event)
• to provide editorial advice/opinion to the Editor-in-Chief or section editors on submissions, if required
• to be available to contribute to a yearly editorial board review, should it be required
• to help promote specific publications and press releases, if asked by the Editor-in-Chief, and
• to consider submitting to the journal their own publications
In particular, we welcome applications from those wishing to be considered for the role of Section Editor (i.e. responsible for submissions within a specific domain or subject area – example topics can be found at http://www.codata.org/publications/scope but should not be considered an exclusive list) and Geographical Editor (i.e. responsible for submissions from a given geographic region).
There is no maximum term for members of the editorial board, though membership will be reviewed at least every 3 years, to ensure that all members are active and still willing to complete the above tasks.
Please apply by sending an email detailing the applicant’s experience and expertise in the area to email@example.com by 28 June 2015.
Further details about the journal can be found at http://datascience.codata.org, or please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please distribute this message widely within your International Scientific Union and other contacts.